Preserving Guisborough’s Heritage

Through the ages

Our Town Hall has stood for 200 years overlooking this ancient township. It is now restored to its former glory.This historic building has a long and fascinating history. It has been through demolition, dereliction, repairs and restoration.
In 1984 it became a Grade II listed building. Meaning it is protected because of its historical importance.
The Doomsday book of 1086 mentions the town ofGuisborough. The area has been home to many different peoples throughout its history.Guisborough and its surrounding farmland were rich and productive in the early medieval period.
Then, in 1069 William the Conqueror attempted to gain control of Northern England. He ordered his troops to kill animals and destroy food stocks.

Making the project possible

“For the people of Guisborough, by the people of Guisborough. A project group of Guisborough residents formed together in 2016 and have worked tirelessly for years to ensure the Town Hall survives for future generations.”









Life in Guisborough

Life was hard, and the people endured poverty and plagues. Some people worked as tanners, turning animal hide into leather. Some were millers, grinding grain to make flour. Others were merchants, selling products for profit.
In 1263 Guisborough was granted permission to hold a weekly market by King Henry III. As a result, a Toll Booth was built on the site of this Town Hall. Here, traders would pay a ‘toll’ to sell their goods.

Changing fortunes.

Guisborough’s magnificent Priory once dominated the skyline. Its striking ruins have become a lasting symbol for the town.
The Priory was built in 1119 by Robert de Brus II, a powerful local baron. It owned much of the local land. The Monks ran a school, set up hospitals, helped the poor and arranged markets.
In 1289 a disastrous fire broke out. The Priory was rebuilt, but you can still see scorch marks on some ruined columns.
In 1539, King Henry VIII ordered all monasteries to be closed. By 1544 the town and much of the surrounding land was owned by the Chaloner family.
Admiral Thomas Chaloner inherited the Guisborough estate in the 1850s. He made many contributions to the town. The ground floor of this Town Hall was once a shambles, where traders sold their goods. Later they became Solicitor’s Oces.
In 1870 Thomas Chaloner added the second storey to house a Courtroom.
You can find the Chaloner Coat of Arms on the exterior of this building.